[Sigia-l] is there a word

Pabini Gabriel-Petit pabini at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 05:22:12 EDT 2004

Christina Wodtke wrote:
> I'm looking for a narrower term (NT) [than "iconography"]. It's for the
vocabulary on
> widgetopia.net

> Actually in my mental model, symbols are visual representations of an
idea,
> and not clickable. Icons are clickable representations and launch
> application, navigate, etc.

***[PGP] We're in complete agreement about the difference between symbols
and icons. You seemed to be referring to the kinds of symbols that people
use in legends or on signage. Of course, some symbols can serve as useful
images for icons. It occurred to me that you might be looking for iconic
inspiration. Maybe we should look to those religious iconic images for that.
;-)

> I can't believe there is not a pre-existing name from print design.

***[PGP] I'm about to do another loop here. There is. It's "symbol"! I was a
technical writer before I became an interaction designer, and my head is
stuffed with all kinds of language facts like this. I once worked for a
signage company, too.

Pabini