[Sigia-l] User Test Cost - Does this sound reasonable?

Stew Dean stew at stewdean.com
Tue Jun 1 07:20:40 EDT 2004

At 02:45 30/05/2004, Pabini Gabriel-Petit wrote:
>This discussion has moved on since I last had time to contribute, so I'll be
>brief.
>
>BJ Cook wrote:
> > > Our IT manager doesn't believe in usability and testing, he believes in
>blind
> > > deployment of his software and apps.
>
>Todd R.Warfel responded:
>That can usually be resolved by either having the person observing some
> > actual usability testing (behind the mirror or in another room via
>closed circuit TV - you don't want the participant hearing the IT
>manager yelling how stupid they are for not being able to figure out
>his software)
> > If they're not available for that, then showing them video vignettes
> > will typically help.
>
>[PGP] You're making a big assumption here, Todd. Where management isn't
>friendly toward user-centered design, it's sometimes impossible to get a
>budget for any usability testing. Such companies certainly don't have
>usability labs with 2-way mirrors or closed-circuit TV.
>
>And if that doesn't work, then putting some actual
> > dollar figures on the costs associated with poor usability will
> > typically do the trick - since managers traditionally deal with
> > budgets, playing the numbers game is a way to break into their sense of
> > reason.
>
>[PGP] Any suggestions for where to get this data?

You want ROI figures?

There is a chapter on this in the polar bear book (Information Architecture
for the World Wide Web - Luis Rosenfeld, Peter Moreville).  I won't
reproduce the figures as it's a good book but will say that you could focus
on time saving of someone working internally.  For example one of the most
common tasks for any intranet (if that's what you are designing) is simply
trying to find something - something people who do information architecture
excel in. So you can say a good user experience can save the average
employee ten minutes a day.  Take the average wage, the number of people in
the company etc and you have some kind of figure.

Now I know you then have to prove you can save ten minutes. Which is down
to your original problem.

I think the emphasis should not be on testing - it should be on research
and the first myth of research is it has to be expensive. If you are
already part of a company, designing a customer facing system and there are
customer service people in the company you already have a great source of
information about your uses. You can gather information from them that can
show how the blind process doesn't work, you can get great insight into the
problems with the existing system from them. For Intranets, even easier,
you have a whole company of users who will happily tell you about their
problems.

Overall I try and paint a picture that if you are designing anything for
anyone how are you going to know what they want without asking them. If you
are designing a suit you measure a person, get their preference on
materials etc and then you do a fitting (akin to user testing). You can't
design a suit based on common sense - why would any IT project be different?

So user research can be inexpensive if you can find the right people and
requires only your time. Convincing managers can usually be done via return
on investment figures. If they can spend X and make X times 5 and this can
be demonstrated then even the most cynical would think again. Easier said
than done but at times you've got to really stick by your guns, doing any
design without research is, after all, just a bit insane.

Stewart Dean