[Sigia-l] Open Source Usability -- curable?

Peter Trudelle peter at trudelle.com
Thu Jul 22 01:33:40 EDT 2004

Listera wrote:

>+     Turn developers into IA/UI/UX designers, one developer at a time. Some developers are good at UI stuff, the vast majority isn't and (my prediction) will never be.

That may be true, but you only have to turn the leaders; the rest will
follow, leave or be ignored.   Your citing of Firefox is a good  example
of this. Mozilla has a few developers like that; fortunately they are
now leading many others.

>+     Create an increasing number of well-designed, high-visibility OSS apps (like Firefox) for OSS developers to notice and, hopefully, emulate.

Cool!  How do we do *that*?  To continue on your example, Firefox is not
something entirely new, it is the latest evolution of a product line
that goes back more than 10 years, reflecting hundreds of millions of
dollars and uncounted lifetimes of development, including some very
talented designers and usability pros

>+     Some larger-scale companies come into the OSS space with
>professionally designed software, as a front-end to their largely
>service-oriented for-fee offerings, thereby setting visible benchmarks.

Like Apple is supposedly trying to do?  I'm not sure how much they are
helping OSS.

>+     Establish a rating organization made up of volunteer (less likely) or paid IA/UI/UX professionals (more likely, with grants from IBM, Novell, etc) to guide and rate submitted OSS apps for UCD compliance. The "seal of approval" is widely promoted and thus becomes a checklist item.

Interesting idea, but I hope you mean  testing with target users rather
than having so-called experts rate them.  I think we're a long way from
the notion of UCD "compliance", as if it were codified and standard.
BTW, IBM and Novell still don't have enough of a focus on UCD in some
of  their own software, IMO.

Perhaps some company <cough> (Google?) </cough> will  become wildly
successful on the basis of advanced design and usability, prompting
others to mimic the approach?  It could happen, and might be enough to
transform the industry.

Peter