[Sigia-l] Open Source Usability -- curable?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jul 20 02:23:39 EDT 2004

Ilan Volow:

> I've come to the conclusion that what's really needed are new Open Source
> projects based upon things like public licenses that enforce usability and
> strongly patented UI innovations that are only granted to projects that care
> about the user experience.

So many of key desktop UI patents (from surface cosmetics to display
compositing technicalities) are owned by Apple and Microsoft that that might
be difficult. OSS would have to compete (for mindshare if nothing else) with
those two and that's very difficult.

Apple created, for example, the iPod pretty much from scratch inside of 8
months. Given the sublime outcome, it'd be tough to go against that kind of
energy, cumulative wisdom and creativity. And Apple's patenting it.

It would be interesting to find out if there are any successful OSS projects
started not by programmers but by UI/usability oriented folks.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba