[Sigia-l] "clear" button on web forms

George Schneiderman schneidg at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 16:26:20 EDT 2004

Where the purpose of the form is to execute a search, there *might* be something to be said for including a Clear button for the user to reset the search parameters.  It would depend upon the specifics.  My hunch is that if you had a web site where users commonly execute fairly complex searches that involve specifying a number of different parameters, and for which it was common for them to execute successive searches that were quite different from one another, that the utility of being able to clear the search parameters might outweight the risk of doing so accidentally.  Examples might be a web tool for real estate brokers to search listings, or for librarians to search library catalogs.   (Since librarians and real estate brokers are likely to be searching on behalf of third parties, it is likely that they would execute successive searches that were quite different from one another, rather than repeating variations on a theme as would be more likely for library patrons or prospective homebuyers.)

--George Schneiderman

(Mostly I agree with what everyone else has said; I'm just trying to think of the exceptional cases where a Clear button might actually serve some useful purpose.)