[Sigia-l] Usability Prank

gunnar gunnar at langemark.com
Thu Jul 15 01:23:23 EDT 2004

Hi Alexandre,

> Hi there.
>
> I think you guys are being too hard on me.

I think you're right - when considering the total number of posts reacting to
yours.

> 6) Gunnar, I didn't brag and I certainly didn't ask for anyone's admiration.
> I was just telling a story to people who'd have the professional backround
> to understand it.

I believe that your post positioned you as the "good guy" - who "admirably"
taught a lesson about respect and privacy to a too curious subordinate -
however pleased and satisfied you are with his work in every other way.
I just happen to think that the way you did this was funny, bright,
innovative, efficient - but not very considerate of your assistant. Even if it
did stay between the two of you - you actually told us - the world - that this
is the way you deal with things. Some people do not agree with this
"philosophy of leadership". I think it comes down to that.

And yes - there may be cultural issues here. In some countries the hierarchy
of the organisation is openly shown and exploited - in other countries (read
Scandinavia) it is wiser to downplay the hierarchy in order to have a good
working "climate". In such a cultural setting it is bordering on "hubris" to
make your subordinate look ridiculous, even if it stays between the two of
you. You would be called an a..h... before you knew it - simply because you
humiliated this person, and he would want to take it out on you. This way the
working relationship would be damaged beyond repair, and the whole workteam -
and subsequently the company would suffer.

Langemark's free advice no. 2.: Confront the guy - tell him you know what he
is doing, that it is not acceptable, and that the company policy demands that
next time he is caught, he will get fired, and that you would simply hate that.

This way you are not the bad guy - company policy is, and he is. Actually you
are saving him from a very bad situation.

Leaders are above making fun of employees, assistants etc.

I realize that you are not an employee of the company you worked for - but
that does not change much.

OVER AND OUT ....

Gunnar Langemark
gunnar at langemark.com