[Sigia-l] Usability Prank

Alexandre Castro e Silva - Usability usability at usability.com.br
Wed Jul 14 15:51:48 EDT 2004

Usability Prank
I was conducting a Usability test as an outsourced consultant. The lab setup
consisted of a single computer, to be used by the participant, and two
additional monitors connected to it, one for me, the moderator, and another
one for my note-taking assistant, who was my client's regular employee. The
point was that we all had to see the same image on the screens.

Between sessions, I'd ask him to turn off his monitor, so I could check my
e-mail - otherwise, he'd read everything, of course. Needless to say, he
didn't.

So I decided to write his boss an e-mail.

Yes, the tests were going fine, but I needed him to send me a new assistant
asap. The current one was well below minimum quality standards for the job,
his observation skills were poor, his writing skills, even worse. How could
he have hired such an incompetent fool?, I asked - well out of line, of
course. Was he a shareholder's relative or something? Nevertheless, whoever
he was, it was my job to ensure the quality of the test and its results: a
Usability test is as good as its note-taker. I had been really nice to him
and hadn't voiced my concerns yet, after all, he was not my employee, but I
needed him replaced asap, or I would be forced to abandon the project
altogether.

After sending the message, I went to the adjoining room to say hello as if
nothing had happened. The poor boy had teary eyes and barely replied when I
told him I was off to lunch. I let him brood over this for an hour, then
told him all about it.

There's a guy who's never going to peep at someone else's e-mail again.

Read more: http://blogdeusabilidade.blogspot.com/