[Sigia-l] Are web users more sophisticated

Dave Collins DCollins at phoenix-interactive.com
Wed Jul 14 14:56:09 EDT 2004

> The point that it's an indication that web users are confused.

Hmm. Are you calling me confused? :-)

In Firefox (the best xplatform browser out there) the URL field in the
Navigation Toolbar performs by default the very same query as Google's
"I'm
feeling Lucky" search button.[1] [2] In return, If I don't know the URL
precisely or if I want to see variations I type it in the Google
searchbox,
and go from there. It depends.

Absolutely. I went into this being fairly confident that there were
cases where users would use the search field for URLs, and that's fine.
The point though, is that the majority of those who did so, probably
didn't mean to (IMO).

While we obviously can make our apps flexible enough accommodate users'
wide-ranging behaviour, it would be folly to ignore what is causing them
to misunderstand the interface in the first place.

And again, the point being that users in general are having tough time
navigating the existing interfaces - let alone new ones.

Dave