Flash and Search engines (was RE: [Sigia-l] Using Flash Rollovers to Uncover Information)

David Mendels dmendels at macromedia.com
Wed Jul 7 22:13:38 EDT 2004

 Hi,

I noticed this comment:

"One of the issues that you encounter with Flash-based content such as this
is that anything linked will not be picked up by search engine spiders and
unless there's some other HTML linked reference on the page, the spiders
won't go deeper to hit the content."

More and more of the search engines can now search within Flash files
(.SWF). To see this in google, add filetype:swf to your seach term (i.e.
"filetype:swf macromedia")  the filetype argument is not required, but for
various reasons today most SWFs are unlikely to be ranked high so adding
this will make the searching within SWF evident.  We are working with many
of the major search engines on our search SDK to provide better searching in
the future, but the old days of unsearchable Flash files are over....:)

Regards,
David
Macromedia