[Sigia-l] Right Side Navigation

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at oyster.com
Tue Jul 6 09:25:37 EDT 2004

Doesn't the question of whether to have a left or right hand nav depend on
what that nav has in it?

If it's "look at me!!" style stuff (e.g. "Shop", "Downloads" rather than
"Related articles", "Complaints" etc.) then perhaps left is better since
people read left to right. Left has a "priority" over right a bit like top
has a priority over bottom (and - red herring fans - that's also the
priority that's used to look up Chinese characters in a dictionary).

However, you might want people to concentrate on the content of the page. So
maybe right nav is better for that, as it lets the content stand out more.
Hence the blog examples here.

At least, I see it that way. Personally, I prefer right navs since I'm right
handed. It's like pulling a slot machine lever or using a scroll bar. Left
navs feel like I'm crossing over the screen to get to them.

But what would really cure this is some user testing (ducks) ;-)

Jonathan