[Sigia-l] Information Architect Job Openings with LDS Church

Donna M. Fritzsche donnamarie at amichi.info
Fri Jan 30 15:07:43 EST 2004

At 12:54 PM -0700 1/30/04, Bill Brown wrote:
>If you read Title VII a little further in the Exemptions section, you'll
>see:
>
>"(a) This subchapter shall not apply to an employer with respect
>to the employment of aliens outside any State, or to a religious
>corporation, association, educational institution, or society with
>respect
>to the employment of individuals of a particular religion to perform
>work
>connected with the carrying on by such corporation, association,
>educational institution, or society of its activities."
>
>So a church can say that its janitors must be followers of that faith.

But putting the words *Temple Worthy*  in the job description means
more than asking for followers of that faith.
As an example, I went to grade school at a Catholic School.
My first grade teacher was divorced - a taboo at that time in the
Catholic Church.
One Sunday I saw my teacher at mass.  My mother told me that she was breaking
church rules by attending mass because divorced people were not
allowed to attend mass.
My teacher was - in that sense - not temple worthy.
Should she  not have been allowed to  teach at my school?

Donna