[Sigia-l] Taxonomy for Art related products

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Wed Jan 28 17:12:38 EST 2004

It's a product of the Getty Trust (Getty Museum, Getty Research Institute,
Getty Conservation Institute, etc.), not Getty Images.  The two are not
related.

The vocabularies are freely available, if you don't mind using the public
web interface to research the terms for your taxonomy.

If you want a machine copy of the entire taxonomy system, there is a
charge. I have no idea about cost.  System vendors in the museum and visual
resources world have licensed the AAT for bundling.  I just checked the
current conditions on the FAQ
<http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/faq.html>,
and it said:

"The data of the vocabularies may be licensed to both commercial and
non-profit organizations. Data are available in flat files (ASCII or
USMARC) and in XML. Note that these are data files only - there is no user
interface."

Leslie