[Sigia-l] IA Summit - Early Reg Deadline Extended

Peter Merholz peterme at peterme.com
Wed Jan 28 10:53:38 EST 2004

Calling All IAs!

The early registration deadline for the IA summit has been extended to
1/31.

Things kick off with Brenda Laurel, HCI visionary and editor of the
recently published "Design Research: Methods and Perspectives," who
brings her unique perspective to information architecture in her
conference keynote, "Achieving a State of Trans". From her abstract,
     "But looking at today's information landscape, we can see that a
miraculous
      inversion has occurred: humans are the environment for information
architecture.
      Our design criteria are becoming transpersonal, transmedia, and
transportable.
      This talk will focus on achieving a state of "trans" through a
process involving
      both research and revisioning."

Next come two days packed with informative sessions, with subjects such
as metadata, brand-driven information architecture, content management
systems, and ethnography. We feature industry luminaries including
Samantha Bailey, Tony Byrne, Jesse James Garrett, Keith Instone, Peter
Merholz, Jared Spool, Amy Warner, and many more.

February 27th offers a range of pre-conference workshops, including
AIfIA's CMS Roundtable, Jared Spool's Secret Strategies of Highly
Successful Websites, Amy Warner's Metadata and Taxonomy Design,
Adaptive Path's User Experience and ROI, and the first IA Slam
Workshop.

FUN FACT: In February the average high temperature in Austin is 64
degrees F (18 C).

All this takes place in Austin, Texas, the "Live Music Capital of the
World," famous for showing visitors a mighty good time. And what would
a conference be without parties?
	• 	Friday, 6:00-7:30 pm - Welcome Reception at the hotel, light buffet
and cash bar
	• 	Friday, 9:00 pm-onwards - Adaptive Path 3rd Anniversary Party, Club
DeVille, complimentary drinks
	• 	Saturday, 5:30-7:00 pm - Posters and Drinks, cash bar
	• 	Saturday, AIfIA Party (details TBA)
	• 	Sunday, February 29th - Celebrate leap year watching the Academy
Awards (location TBA)

The IA Summit is perhaps the best conference deal around. For early
registrants, the two main conference days costs $300 to members of
ASIS&T, SIGCHI, AIfIA, AIGA, and STC, $450 to nonmembers.

--peter