[Sigia-l] FW: combo-box in HTML?

Jodi Bollaert jodi at bluesunworks.com
Tue Jan 27 17:17:10 EST 2004

Hi David,

Would this work for you?

Field name: (dropdown) or Other: (text field)

I'd recommend grouping the fields in this order to
encourage the user to make a selection if possible to
reduce the chance of error.  If you must include a
text field, I think it should only be a way for the
user to enter whatever they wish when none of the
other options apply (not as a different way to enter
the same data--too confusing).  If the text field
makes data integrity an issue, include an example of
how to enter the text to the right of or under the
text field.

Hope that helps!

> Message: 4
> From: "David Heller" <dh at htmhell.com>
> To: <sigia-l at asis.org>
> Subject: RE: [Sigia-l] FW: combo-box in HTML?
> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:09:35 -0500
>
> I guess I was wondering how someone would do it as a
> good design:
> For example:
>
> </widget>
> ( ) [text input           ]
>
> 	or
>
> ( ) [select box         ^]
>
> </widget>
>

> Both the text field and select box fillin the same
> data field. The radio
> buttons are there to make the user choose for sure
> what they really want
> selected.
>
> I don't like this approach as I find it confusing,
> but I haven't figured out
> anything better and were curious what others
> thought.
>
> - dave

Jodi

=====