[Sigia-l] FW: combo-box in HTML?

Chris Chandler chrischandler67 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 26 21:34:22 EST 2004

> Both the text field and select box fillin the same data field. The radio
> buttons are there to make the user choose for sure what they really want
> selected.
>
> I don't like this approach as I find it confusing, but I haven't figured out
> anything better and were curious what others thought.

I agree that the radio button switch is not a great solution, although I've been forced to use it in the past. Do you
really need the switch?

You didn't give any context to your problem, but perhaps you could get by with making some clever assumptions about what
to do when the user makes a selection with the drop-down AND enters text in the field. E.g. the input field takes
precedence unless there are no matches, if it's a query situation), or, if it's a data entry thingy, a straightforward
confirmation of the data entered to let the user confirm or deny what they intended to take precedence?

-cc