[Sigia-l] Share and share alike

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Jan 26 03:29:56 EST 2004

"Conal Tuohy" wrote:

> I don't know a lot about patent law but my reading of the claims[1] in the
> patent is that the patent would not affect anyone processing an instance
> document which happens to conform to that schema, so long as they don't use an
> (XSD) schema to do so.

Well, I don't think Microsoft was thinking of individual labors of trial and
error in deciphering instance docs as a threat to their Office monopoly.
Heck, they even provide an XSD Inference decoder:

<http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xsdinference/overview.html>

I think they worry about the OpenOffice/StarOffice/KOffice barbarians! :-)

----
Ziya

Architecture is politics.