[Sigia-l] Washington, DC: PVC Program: Taxonomies, Metadata for Content Management, February 10th

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed Jan 21 10:17:29 EST 2004

Pardon cross postings!

PVC ASIST and the Student Chapter at CUA Present:

"Taxonomy and Metadata Strategies for Effective Content Management"

(This lecture will focus on *applied* information, and is the second
PVC lecture on the topic due to November's sell-out crowd.)

WHEN:  Tuesday, February 10th

TIME:  6:30 pm quick dinner, 7:15 pm program

WHERE: New Przbyla Center, Catholic University of America, Washington DC

SPEAKER: Joseph Busch, 2001 ASIST President and Founder, Taxonomy Strategies

WEBSITE:
<http://www.asis.org/Chapters/asispvc/feb_10_2004/index.html>http://www.asis.org/Chapters/asispvc/feb_10_2004/index.html

****************

THE PROGRAM:

There is a lot of mumbo-jumbo like the word "taxonomy" that is being thrown
around to describe how to manage so-called unstructured content like
business documents, web site pages, and old fashioned technical reports
and articles. On the one hand we want to remember what we already know
about how to create a useful core catalog record to describe a content
object so
it can be found again later when needed. On the other hand there are some
bad habits and obsolete ideas like inverted file indexes that we need to
get beyond. This talk is about what I have seen in dozens of applied
information management projects over the past few years, and how you can
take advantage of what you already know to solve big problems like these
in your own organizations.

Due to the overwhelming popularity of the presentation on taxonomies in
November, PVC is hosting a second program on the topic--focusing on
"applied" information that you can take back to your organization.

Joseph Busch is the Founder and a Principal of Taxonomy Strategies, and is
an authority in the field of information science, a Past President of the
American Society for Information Science and Technology (www.asis.org),
and an appointee to the Board of Directors of the Dublin Core Metadata
Initiative (dublincore.org). He is the author of many articles on indexing,
classification research, and information retrieval systems.

****************

LOCATION:

Pryzbyla University Center Great Room A
Catholic University of America
Washington, DC

COST: $15 Members, $20 Non-Members, $10 Student Members

FOOD: Box dinner with veg. options (We're focusing on getting you the
applied information you've come for.)

THREE WAYS TO REGISTER: 1) Online, 2) Fax Registration Form, 3) Mail
Registration Form

For more information, map, and the registration form, please visit the PVC
ASIST Website:

<http://www.asis.org/Chapters/asispvc/index.html>http://www.asis.org/Chapters/asispvc/index.html

Hope to see you there!

Nichole McNeely
PVC ASIS&T Chair
PVC Home
Page:
<http://www.asis.org/Chapters/asispvc/index.html>http://www.asis.org/Chapters/asispvc/index.html
T)šŠX§‚X¬´õBjȬ¢¸!¶Úþf¢•«"²Šàþf¢–f§þX¬¶)ߣúo

Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
PHONE: (301) 495-0900