[Sigia-l] ISO resources on UCD and politics

Peter Merholz peterme at peterme.com
Thu Jan 15 10:52:39 EST 2004

> I'm looking for some pointers to resources related to user-centered
> design and internal politics. David Sless touches on it in an older
> paper/keynote of his
> (http://www.communication.org.au/html/paper_34.html)
> and Indi Young does a nice job over on the Adaptive Path site
> (http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000251.php).

Excuse this plug for my partners, but at the IA Summit, Adaptive Path
partners Janice Fraser and Lane Becker will be giving a half-day
pre-conference tutorial on "Managing Design Politics," which addresses
this head-on. Having had nothing to do with the development of the
material, I can say with complete confidence that it's a really amazing
session, quite eye-opening and thought-provoking. It's based on a bunch
of activities, thus getting attendees to really come to terms with the
issues (as opposed to just hearing about them.)

(And, for what it's worth, the other half day is a discussion of ROI
and User Experience, which dovetails beautifully with issues of
politics.)

--peter