[Sigia-l] Can UI designers kill people?

Benjamin Speaks BENSPEAKS at prodigy.net
Fri Jan 9 09:10:01 EST 2004

Interesting story here...

I recently provided consulting services for a very
well known defense contractor.  Basically, I worked
as their HCI and information architect SME.  The
product I was helping them redesign was used to
dispatch the appropriate resources (police and
fire/rescue) to disaster scenes.  The application was
interaction design heavy and "inefficiencies" in the
usability of the product could result in "collateral"
(isn't that a polite term?) losses.

Finally, the aggregrated dashboard view was a real
estate pig and an information designers nightmare.

Anyway, this example is one the many software systems
that can have an obvious impact on the public good.

Bottom line a "UI can kill people" if it operates in
a real time fashion (thus having exceptionally small
windows for human operators to realize and correct
mistakes) and depends on human intervention for
immediate action.  Most of the usability issues I
witnessed were related to the observation that the
system provide prompt feedback but human operators
were slow to recognize the visual cues provided by
the interface.

(Sidebar Discussion:  For those of you on another IA
listserv discussing why IA isn't utilized
in "traditional" software environments I would say
that it is in many senses but we just haven't sold
the title out there.  Also, the web space is
associated with IA because in traditional software
environments many old-school engineers associate GUI
standards (like Windows XP) with the concept of
usability...which is correct but incorrect.
Therefore, they don't see a need to hire information
architectures since GUI standards are already in
place).

Just my two cents worth...