[Sigia-l] Coat Hanger Usability

Alexandre Castro e Silva - Usability usability at usability.com.br
Thu Feb 26 17:57:48 EST 2004

Coat Hanger Usability

Sometimes the simplest things are the ones that need Usability the most.

Take coat hangers, for instance.

My closet is very neat and tidy, specially for a guy. But I always have
problems moving my clothes around it. I'm never able to take out several
coat hangers at the same time. There are always some with the hooks turned
inwards, some outwards, and I end up having to take them out one by one.
It's a drag.

I've tried to establish coat hanging rules. I hereby declare that from this
moment on all chothes shall be hanged with the hooks facing outwards. But it
never works. Who remembers that when it's time to put away the clothes after
laundry?

For all I knew, it was one of those simple yet unsoluble life's little
problems.

Until today, that is, when I came accross this coat hanger with a movable
hook.

Could anything be simpler, wiser, more usable?

Please visit my blog to read a full, illustrated version of this article:
http://blogdeusabilidade.blogspot.com/