[Sigia-l] Administering Search

O'Neill, Todd todd.oneill at usaa.com
Thu Feb 19 08:52:45 EST 2004

OK.

So you justify the purchase of a search engine. You RFP and POC and
negotiate and buy. So now you have it, installed, up and running. You've
cleaned up your meta, made as many assumptions as you can to return good
results and, then what?

Our organization needs an approach for ongoing maintenance, tweaking,
business administration for an internal search engine.

There's no cool listservs like SIGIA, few valuable sites, except for
searchtools.com (Thanks Avi!), few really good whitepapers (at least
that I could google), much less actual books that deal with the "work"
of a search engine. And, sorry Avi, et al; we cannot hire a consultant.

So, I come to you, oh IA community, for direction. Is search
administration sort of like "Daddy threw me in the pond so I just had to
learn to swim"? Or is there somewhere I could take a lesson or two,
maybe do some book larning (sic)?

Any info morsel would be valuable.

Yours, humbly

Todd O'Neill Web Producer USAA Interaction Design and Architecture
210-913-8312 todd.oneill at usaa.com
These opinions mine not those of USAA.
"The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer." Peter
Drucker