[Sigia-l] Link to Search Field Labels

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Feb 19 06:03:22 EST 2004

"Alfonso Corretti" wrote:
> This can be achieved without the need of a "user registration"
> functionality, just using cookies and a bit of server-side processing.

OK for a simple tip, to avoid using a third column, you're now requiring
CSS, JavaScript, cookies and server-side processing. :-)

> In the fact of javascript being off, I can't imagine a rich WWW
> environment as we've got right know, without the use of client-side
> scripting. W3C understood this and developed the DOM

And Microsoft developed IE with plenty of JS holes and popups to scare
people off. :-)

> And here I must appoint that having that info in another
> different page is even more confusing than the need to know how to
> disable those annoying (only when are reiterative) tooltips.

Perhaps, but I wasn't advocating sending people to another page. In fact, I
want the tips/comments persistent/visible right next to the items they refer
to -- as short as possible and visually differentiated; no CSS, JavaScript,
cookies and server-side processing; and no trips to other pages.

The real trick of course, is to design the darn thing so that the user needs
no tips.:-)

----
Ziya

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.