[Sigia-l] microcontent - a definition?

Thomas Vander Wal list at vanderwal.net
Mon Feb 16 09:27:44 EST 2004

Eric --

I started running into the term *microcontent* in late 2000 and it was used
in the framework of content management, where a chunk of information can be
extracted from the overall content and it will stand on its own.  This was
used for headers, sub-headers, titles, links, summaries, quotes, contact
information, etc.

Microcontent has two roles in a hypertext environment: 1) To provide content
that is self-sustaining or helps to provide context to a larger chunk of
content; 2) Provides a means to anchor an external hyperlink to a
self-sustaining chunk of content or a reference point in a large piece of
content.

The second portion is often overlooked, except for application developers
who are working on tools that will provide tools that will easily provide
the means to cross-reference information (among many other uses).  I know of
a few folks that have been trying to link to content from self-made
presentation tools that will link out to the various direct sources for
information used in presentations.  Content that is external to the
presentation, if properly prepared could provide a means to have each
paragraph linked to, as well as each header.  Having microcontent anchors
makes providing an annotated presentation much easier.  One tools was trying
to allow externally generated highlighting of the text that is important.

The tagging of content where natural breaks occur (paragraphs, headers, etc)
would make external referencing of all content much easier and accurate than
page numbers, which do not work well in a printed environment across printed
versions (editions and imprints).  Historians have been encouraging a format
similar to what is found in Bibles for all texts to ensure accurate
referencing.  Having Biblical references with book, chapter, and verse, may
be the ultimate example of tagged microcontent.  As we move closer to XML
structured information for all content we are moving closer to a world of
easily accessible microcontent.

All the best,
Thomas