[Sigia-l] Re: What makes an IA good at what he or she does?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Feb 13 14:52:57 EST 2004

"Polansky, Adam" wrote:

> Success for us sometimes comes by understanding what "didn't" happen.

Fabulous point.

In the jaded world of enterprise development, there is often ample pressure
to take the earliest exit (usually called "Mediocrity 16W" or "Expedient
3B"). When I sense such a moment, I try to beg for the team's indulgence for
a 30-minute presentation. I then go over what could have easily happened but
didn't, stuff that wasn't proposed, common mistakes that never occurred,
blind alleys that were avoided, time that wasn't wasted, meetings that
didn't have to be held, etc. I try to illustrate these with screenshots
either from the project or from similar projects, especially those of
competitors' whenever available. This has an immediate and salutary effect
that (re)aligns the team's perspective, enthusiasm and confidence.

----
Ziya

You must learn from the mistakes of others.
You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.