[Sigia-l] Ethnographic research?

Alexandre Castro e Silva - Usability usability at usability.com.br
Tue Feb 10 08:13:40 EST 2004

I think interviewing is fundamental.

We had a set of post-observation questions we asked to the people we had
just observed.  It provided us with some invaluable quantitative
information.

We even include some informal usability tasks, things like: if you wanted to
find so-and-so, where would you go in the interface?

Mostly, we found that our users (call-center operators) had no idea how to
navigate the intranet: they simply memorized the paths they used the most
and, when they had problems, they instantly called their supervisor.

We found out about this partly from observartion but also partly from asking
them to find things that were not common in their routine and watching how
stumped they'd get.

Alex
Alexandre Castro e Silva
alexandre at usability.com.br
Consultor | Usability
(55 21) 2447 5716
(55 21) 9809 4179

Usability: http://www.usability.com.br
Guia de Usabilidade: http://www.sobresites.com/usabilidade
Blog de Usabilidade & Arquitetura da Informação:
http://blogdeusabilidade.blogspot.com