[Sigia-l] Ethnographic research?

Abbe Don abbe at abbedon.com
Tue Feb 10 02:21:37 EST 2004

There is a long and significant history of designers and
anthropologists working together, and in particular, of interactive
designers borrowing from ethnographic methodologies to influence
product design or to see how a prototype of product might be used.

Some work that I'm familiar with, in chronological order:

Back in 1991, Tim Oren, Brenda Laurel, and I did a semester long study
of the Guides prototype which we dropped into a 5th grade classroom to
see how the teacher and students interacted with the system over time.
We used a variety of research methods to collect data.

Lucy Suchman was the leader of the anthropology group at Xerox Parc for
many years and influenced many people in the valley to use ethnography
as part of the product development and design process. If you aren't
familiar with her work, youcan now find her on the web at:
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/sociology/lsuchman.html

Hewlett Packard has also made use of ethnography to influence product
development. In 1998, Allan Kuchinsky, Celine Pering, David Frolich
and I did a really interesting study about how families share
photographs. We interviewed families at the beginning of the study;
documented the visible photos in their homes (refrigerators, hallway
photos, photos on shelves, albums, etc), and then we had them keep
journals and record conversations as they shared photographs over a 3
month period. A full write up of the research is available at:
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:re-S5oTRqLAJ:www.hpl.hp.co.uk/
people/dmf/HP%2520Reports/
PhotoWareReport.doc+david+%2B+hewlett+packard+%2B+fototalk&hl=en&ie=UTF-
8

Tim Plowman of Cheskin Research has an excellent chapter on product
development and design in the new book edited by Brenda Laurel entiteld
Design Research.
To see the table of contents, go to:
http://www.tauzero.com/Brenda_Laurel/DesignResearch/
DesignResearchTableOfContent.html

To order the book, go to:
qid=1065762099/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/002-6803487-3907268?v=glance&s=books