[Sigia-l] Converting static pages in a large intranet site to CMS

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Tue Feb 10 04:15:31 EST 2004

Was very tired before, so now I'll provide you with a decent response.

I have worked on a couple of these projects and have yet to see a site that can just be
converted. Really, if you are moving to a CMS, you should be taking advantage of
some of the automatic functions included. If you are going to put that much effort into
converting your content, you should put some effort into making the site more usable
at the same time. OK, maybe you have done this, and are converting something that is
pretty good, but if not, stop now and think about how you might improve it. You might
save yourself a heck of a lot of effort.

Mostly, this is an organisation and management exercise. If it is not you, find someone
who is fantastic at arranging detail & get them on board for the planning &
organisation. There will be a huge difference in the way that you arrange this
depending on whether you have distributed authorship or centralised. If you have
distributed authorship, don't underestimate the amount of time you will need to train
authors and hand-hold.  Do it a chunk at a time - find something that currently works
well (maybe it is well written or well coded) and try it first. Learn from that experience
and tackle the rest later. Figure out how you are going to release in sections and how
you'll manage broken links. Stop part way through and reflect on lessons learned for
the rest of the process...

What, you were looking for a technical solution? The amount of time any technology
will save you is tiny compared to what good planning & management will save ;)

Donna