[Sigia-l] Search Engines: Commodity item

MJJAIXEN at up.com MJJAIXEN at up.com
Thu Aug 19 11:52:48 EDT 2004

We're looking at replacing our free-ware search engine for our sites, and
are looking at several vendor products.  After looking at several vendors,
we've come to the conclusion that all will meet our needs, and that search
engine software really is now a commodity item.  Some tools may do one or
two things better than another, and vice versa, but all are fine.  In our
mind, the issue isn't what product we select as much as how we implement
it.  (In other words, how do we feed it content, what metadata do we feed
it, how do we set up the search interface, etc...)

Are we missing something here?  Did we not go "deep enough" with our
requirements?  I've looked all around at research, and everybody talks
about how to set up your content, and how to set up your results page, but
never how to pick a product.

Mike Jaixen
Union Pacific