[Sigia-l] pull-down menus and intermediate pages

Gerry Gaffney gerry at infodesign.com.au
Mon Aug 16 06:12:25 EDT 2004

I don't have data, but have observed several dozens of individual test
sessions with sites that use these pull-down menus, but also have
'intermediate' or introductory pages accessed by clicking the top-level menu
item.

Some users tend to click on the top level menu item, because they are unsure
of the content of the pull-down menu items, or because they have difficulty
in handling the mechanics of the dropdown (a very common occurrence), or
because they're just not the exploratory type.

It seems to me that intermediate pages are at worst harmless. They also
provide the ability to actually explain the meaning of the pull-downs to the
infrequent visitor.

- Gerry

Gerry Gaffney
Information & Design