[Sigia-l] IA research?

Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com
Mon Apr 26 18:27:35 EDT 2004

and then said:
> But I think the academic community wants us to have "proof" before we
> take that success and turn it into confidence. But the proof of the
> success IS the success.

Two points:
1) How can you say research "is often a distraction" if we practitioners
can't cite a lot of research that's been done?  Furthermore, consider
that PeterV started this discussion (and that he's a Very Smart Guy(tm),
and very actively involved in the IA community and even wrote a book on
IA) -- when I consider that it was someone like Peter who asked if we'd
seen any recent *quality* IA research,  that's good enough for me to
conclude that there's not much quality IA research being done.  Anyone
who's been distracted by IA research, please raise your hand.

2) Statements like "the proof of the success IS the success" are the
types of statements that kept medieval medicine practices like
bloodletting in vogue for so long.  :)

Try your hand at Medieval medicine
http://www.learner.org/exhibits/middleages/healtact2.html

More on Medieval medicine:
http://www.learner.org/exhibits/middleages/morhealt.html

Good research tries to isolate variables so you understand WHY something
is successful and WHAT ELSE it might be used for...that's how we might
hope to get the IA equivalent of penicillin some day.

A better statement might be:
"Past successes MIGHT give you a hint at ways to succeed in the future.
Your mileage may vary."  Research might help us better understand how
much it might vary.

Regards,

Lyle

----

Croc O' Lyle - A blog that now has new content for IA's!
http://crocolyle.blogspot.com