[Sigia-l] IA research?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Apr 26 18:13:39 EDT 2004

"Karl Fast" wrote:
> Not at all. Just because research can be useful for validating and
> legitimizing a profession doesn't mean that research is without
> intrinsic value for that profession.

Nobody's saying research isn't useful, per se. It's the notion that it's
sine non qua for respect that I question. I call it researchism, a belief
without rational foundation.

> One benefit would be how it could, along with other activities, help to
> legitimize the profession, especially in the eyes of others.

The consumers of IA are the users; the customers are the clients Both would
be infinitely more impressed with the usefulness of IA than any amount of
academic research that attempts to buy that positive reception.

Again, I'm reacting to Peter's original assertion that without academic
research IA wasn't going anywhere, which started this thread.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba