[Sigia-l] IA research?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Apr 26 15:28:21 EDT 2004

"Peter VanDijck" wrote:
> It's not so much about "couldn't solve". It's about better ways of
> understanding the problems, and better ways of attacking them.

OK, I'll rephrase: what problem(s) have you not been able to better
understand and attack?

> if IA doesn't become more research-driven (I mean *basic* research, not the
> practical user research you do when doing a project), it risks becoming
> obsolete.

Leaving aside the contentious issue of whether IA is a profession or not,
your implicit assumption is on shaky grounds. Professions that are not
driven by researchism (like writing, design and photography) are thriving
while those that are driven by it (like artificial intelligence, speech and
visualization) seem to have gone nowhere. I'm not drawing a 1:1 conclusion
here, but simply pointing out the fallacy of researchism as a necessary
predictor.

> A few rules of thumb and borrowed concepts don't make a profession.

Neither, apparently, reams of paper. :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba