[Sigia-l] Multi-Function Displays [WAS RE: Pillars of Ergonomics]

Dave dheller at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:31:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:14:48 -0400 (EDT), anne at mindstorm.com
<anne at mindstorm.com> wrote:

> How about going one step further and killing the touch-screen concept?
>
> If I'm driving with my eyes on the road, I want to be able to locate
> controls by touch. You can't do that with a perfectly smooth screen.

Not all controls should be on a screen. Some as is the case today
should be on the steering column.

AND! (one other thing in support of the other side is this.
One of the advantage of a separate stereo is that I can replace it w/
my own. While better and better stereos are included w/ vehicles this
days. They are VERY expensive. I still need a way to install my own
Alpine or Bose system if I want. If it is all integrated, I'm stuck w/
what the manufacturer gives me. Now for your average Focus, this makes
sense, but when you have an Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. the integration of
the stereo, while optional is still very aparent as it is visually
integrated to match the rest of the dash almost flawlessly and w/o
except.

Now, lets talk about voice controlled systesm in tandem w/ screens,
eh? OnStar on steroids, eh?

-- dave