[compute] RE: [Sigia-l] Web Standards and I.A.s

PTrebukov at SpencerStuart.com PTrebukov at SpencerStuart.com
Mon Apr 12 14:08:44 EDT 2004

 Tom,

   Let me clarify some points (sorry, my explanations weren't clear
enough).

   1.  Spec for each page should include section dedicated to IA
       needs so developers will use your classes no matter what.....

       Each page where you are going to use IA-classes.
       Reason:
        It's possible that IA-class is not necessary to provide required
presentation at all
        or exists another class (not related to IA) with the same
styles.
        In these cases developer should be instructed how to use (or not
to use) IA-class.
        Probably the best place to do this is specification.

      You can create all IA-classes without styles at all (empty) but
even in this case
      using of IA-classes could require extra care.

      Possible situation: absolute positioning. All coordinates (top,
left) calculated from
      parent element. So, if it's necessary to enclose content part in
extra <div class = "IA-class1">
      developer probably will have to adjust some positioning settings
for other elements.
      If extra element is not necessary you can use IA-class as second
class (<div class = "regular-class IA-class1">).
      But in both situations developer must know what to do with each
portion of the page related to each type of content.

   2. How to check proper usage of IA classes during the development,
testing and maintenance.

      There is no easy way to define how correctly or incorrectly
IA-classes are used.
      If article displayed on the blue background and it's correct how
would you know if IA-class used improperly (or not used at all)?
      Are you always going to make extra functionality based on
IA-classes' names (so something will be visibly broken)?
      You have to check HTML (or other) codes, run validatiors (if such
validators exist), probably do something else.

   All these tasks (see above and below) will require extra time and
extra efforts.
   Wll result be reliable enough ?

Pavel Trebukov