[Sigia-l] Web Standards and I.A.s

Tom Trottier tOM at Abacurial.com
Thu Apr 8 16:57:33 EDT 2004

On Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 13:19,
 <PTrebukov at SpencerStuart.com> wrote:

>   With this approach you can have more then one CSS class which actually
>   provides the same set of styles (<div class="Entity"> could have red
> border and blue background
>   and <div class="Person"> could also have red border and blue
> background).
>   It's could be even good idea in case you want to change something
> eventually but
>   from development/maintenance point of view having absolutely identical
> classes is
>   not the greatest idea (especially if it's not documented and you have
> to work with more then one CSS file).

That's not a problem working with CSS.

When creating classes with common attributes to start, you can declare
them like
    Person, Entity {text: red; border: thin cyan}
and then classes Person and Entity share the same properties.

To investigate existing CSS, you just change one property outrageously
to pick out the stuff in the class, eg add BORDER: THICK RED; to the
property list. There may even be some tools to indicate which styles
are being applied. There are certainly tools to manage CSS styles
nicely. Even Dreamweaver tries.

In practice, you would have IA-named styles declared only in one CSS
file and override any details or set the page layout using different
names, perhaps in other CSS files. DIVs can be nested, with themselves,
or all block HTML tags.

Read the CSS Cookbook by Christopher Schmitt

tOM