[Sigia-l] Looking for research

Jonas H ö glund jonas at swatdesign.com
Thu Apr 8 05:54:42 EDT 2004

I’m looking for research materials, reports, or articles, on the subject of: What impact will the segment of the 16 to 20 years old youth have on the e-commerce business in 3 to 5 years from now? What will their expectations and behaviors be etc? Will it be different from the expectations of the 21 to 25 years of today? Should or must businesses transform to meet new demands from the “digital native speaking” community, as they in 3 to 5 years from now will be spending their money on retail consumer goods?

I’m working for a major global retailer. We have retail stores across the globe as well as web presence on most markets. Today we only have e-commerce functionality in a few markets, since the focus of our business is the store.

Our biggest age group of customers are between 25 to 35 years old, with around 70% being female. The total range of age is somewhere between 18 to 75. In 5 years from now we will most likely have e-commerce functionality in, if not all, but most of our markets. Our web site will most likely be much different from the one we have today, to meet the ever increasing demands and expectations of our customer and our own business.

However, with the fact that our main age group is between 25 to 35 cause the demand and the expectations on our business to be even greater than that of other businesses? Will the generation growing up with the web, chat rooms, cell phones, sms etc expect and demand more? Will they be less forgiving or maybe more forgiving to errors or bad experiences? Will the web presence of a business be more important for them? Will it have a greater brand impact etc etc etc.

I very much appreciate all the help I might get!

Jonas Höglund