[Sigia-l] RE: Web Standards and I.A.s

O'Neill, Brian Brian.O'Neill at FMR.COM
Tue Apr 6 13:31:15 EDT 2004

Hi

Thanks for the responses (ciao luca!). Let me clarify. What I am curious
about is, if you are primarily working as an Information Architect, what
role did you play in the process of building a web-standards (WS) site?
Markup? Accessbility? CSS? The entire front end? Nothing? What size was
your team, or was it just you?

For THIS thread, I don't want to get into the pros and cons of WS, such
as which sites have launched with it, and all that. I am specifically
interested in the role(s) the IA played in the design process.

Thanks, grazie,

Brian

----------------------
Information Architect
617.392.1945
AOL: brianthedrummer

-----Original Message-----
From: Luca Rosati [mailto:luca_rosati at tiscali.it]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 1:20 PM
To: O'Neill, Brian
Subject: Re: [Sigia-l] RE: Web Standards and I.A.s

Il giorno 6 apr 2004, alle 16:25, O'Neill, Brian ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> I was just curious if any of the I.A.s on the list here have been
> involved with web standards-based design implementations?

Hi Brian,
I believe in a deep link between IA and W3C Web Standards (Xhtml plus
Css2 design) - in general - and Accessibility - in particular.

I think the structure vs. presentation separation is the trait d'union
between IA and Standards.
Both Standards and IA look at the semantic layer of a structure - and I
think Standard & Accessibility can help the Architect in his mission.

So it's a lot of time I left tables to embrace Xhtml and CSS
positioning, also in projects not requiring them.
Adaptive Path was redesigned by standards with a lot of advantages, see
<http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2003/07/09/the_new_path.html>.

About the value of standards and their rapport with design, see also
<http://www.maccaws.org/kit/way-forward/>.

Recently I worked to accessible redesign of <www.sistemapiemonte.it>.