[Sigia-l] Usable -> not be used

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Mon Sep 22 10:55:25 EDT 2003

On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 20:38 Europe/London, Listera wrote:

> The owner of one of Britain's biggest mobile phone chains has banned
> all
> internal email. The man, who described himself as a slow typer who has
> yet
> to send an e-mail on his own, apparently was moved by the recent
> discussion
> on post-it notes on this list. What's with the Brits and technology
> anyway?
>
> Deluged Telecoms Boss Bans Staff E-Mails
> <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=5&u=/
> nm/2003
> 0919/tc_nm/technology_britain_email_dc>

I presume the reference to the recent post-it note discussion was a
vague attempt at humour ;-)

This, of course, has nothing to do with any anti-technology bias of we
weird British folk. The boss hasn't banned all e-mail in the company.
They're still quite happy to talk to customers and suppliers using
email as was reported elsewhere.

He also didn't ban all internal email. Just turned it into a
many-to-one/one-to-many environment with a centrally distributed email
newsletter. As a business decision.

He felt that centralised (e-mail based) communications, phone calls and
face-to-face meetings are more efficient than dealing with masses of
internal email. The time saved could then be used emailing/talking with
customers and suppliers.

Just like some companies ban full web access, non-work related
applications, private telephone usage, etc. Nothing to  do with
technology. Everything to do with what he pays his employees to do and
effective use of their time.

It may be worth noting that the ban is reported here
<http://www.newbusiness.co.uk/cgi-bin/
newsdesk.pl?criteria=article&id=1428> in the past tense - and
apparently "the ban brought an instant, dramatic and positive effect."

Whether it will be a sensible decision in the long term - who knows.
I'm finding Wiki's, blogs, RSS, etc. filling many of the communication
niches that email used to fill for internal communications (not that I
could survive without email myself :-)

Adrian