[Sigia-l] Navigation Systems

alfred at thunderstick.com alfred at thunderstick.com
Thu Sep 18 14:39:48 EDT 2003

There were the beginnings of what I expected to be a more robust field -
see Communications of the ACM - August 1995.

One 'hypermedia design' paradigm I liked was called RMM - Relationship
Management Methodology - where the author details a few fundamental
navigation types (but which are core to the methodology) which are
referred to as access constructs:

Guided Tour
Indexed Guided Tour
Circular Guided Tour

See http://jmis.bentley.edu/rmm/ for further info..

I personally use the framework mentally when designing, and also have done
some private writing in this area, because I use it as an underlying model
to translate between Relational Databases and Web Navigation.

A good place to dig is in the WWW{n} conferences, for example:
http://www5conf.inria.fr/fich_html/paper-sessions.html

Finding them online can be spotty :)

Best of luck,
Alfred Werner