[Sigia-l] Corporate Blogging - the problems

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Sep 12 00:43:54 EDT 2003

"Michael Angeles" wrote:

> I was referring to my department's strategy to make intranet blog data
> usable. I work in the library & information service organization within
> my company.

I see.

> I don't know that search engines are always the answer to
> all problems.

Not to all problems.

> Yes search is necessary, but are search engines the front
> end you want to use for all types of databases?

If you can't afford the alternative.

Blogs, by their very nature, are fast evolving; some people update every few
hours. The proposition that a multitude of fast changing blogs at a large
org should wait for manual parsing by an IA is architecturally problematic.
As is the notion that bloggers should be compelled to categorize prior to
publishing.

> While we wait and watch for k-log growth in the intranet, I've been
> thinking abou the next stage -- making blog data usable and findable in
> the enterprise. Part of that strategy has to do with aggregating and
> classifying blog entries for retrieval.

Google, having thought of that, bought Blogger.

We had the discussion of machine vs. human parsing of information here
before. The vast majority of parsed info/data available on the web is
machine processed, and will continue to be so in the future. So in that
sense, I'm not sure how blogs make any difference in the way info/data
is/can be parsed and accessed.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba