[Sigia-l] Re: Sigia-l digest, Vol 1 #669 - 4 msgs

Amy M Haugesag ahauge2 at hallmark.com
Thu Sep 11 15:05:05 EDT 2003

>Now the second question is could I get any more acronyms and abbreviations
>in my subject line ;^)

>Seriously, I was wondering if anyone here has looked in to or taken party
in
>the MLIS long distance program at University of Illinois.  If you have,
what
>did you think of it?  With my uncertain and chaotic life, I haven't been
>able to get in to a grad program and this one sounds very promising and
the
>commute is ideal.<

I'm not a LEEP grad yet--I just started the program this summer--but so
far, I'm thrilled with the program. It's not as tech-focused as other
distance ed. LIS programs, but it seems so far to have a good balance of
traditional library education and more tech/info science oriented courses,
with a slight bias toward the former. I'm an IA-wannabe, and I looked at a
number of other distance master's programs in LIS; I ended up with LEEP
because of its reputation, course offerings, and program structure. The
level of student commitment required for LEEP seems quite a bit higher than
that required at other programs, in a good way. And so far I'm extremely
impressed with the quality of the teaching as well as with the intelligence
and involvement of my classmates. UIUC has been offering LEEP for eight
years or so, and they've really figured out how to make online education
work.

HTH--I'd be glad to answer any specific questions offlist.

Amy Haugesag
Editor, Hallmark.com
816.701.1615
ahauge2 at hallmark.com