[Sigia-l] Need LIS help with a search engine

SCoon at ameritrade.com SCoon at ameritrade.com
Wed Sep 10 09:53:03 EDT 2003

Hey LIS'ers, if you have a moment and the background, I need some help with understanding the inner workings of iPhrase

http://www.iphrase.com/product/howit_works.html

I "get" the gist of it, but it's the specifics that are giving me nightmares. It's basically a natural language search tool, which provides a management console for creating "concepts" and synonyms, yet doesn't seem to need any related meta-data in the retrievable content for providing accuracy. They say their auto indexing is 80% accurate and fine tuning is an exercise in post-deployment.

That seems bogus to me.

I want to create a CV out of our domain nomenclature/terminology and have iPhrase leverage it for search/direct navigation accuracy. It seems like that's what they're attempting to emulate with their console, but the (non)hooks to the content won't provide the initial accuracy I'm looking for.

Uhm... help?

Please contact me off list and I'll put together a mass email of help responses for the list in a short while.

Thanks,

\*spcoon\*

Sean Patrick Coon
Sr. Interaction Designer