[Sigia-l] UT School of Information receives further Microsoft Grant

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Sep 9 03:42:04 EDT 2003

> This award is further testimony to the research capability of faculty at the
> iSchool and the importance of user experience research to digital document
> design.

"Digital document design"? I thought that...

> ...Randolph Bias has been awarded $100,000 to study the effects of
> Microsoft ClearType on user performance in programming tasks.

What's "programming tasks" got to do with "digital document design"?

Has Microsoft already spent its $50 billion in the bank and needs this?

> Researchers at the School of Information have been examining the usability
> of this technology, and preliminary results suggest ClearType can
> significantly improve reading speeds for electronic text.

I must have missed all those news reports of people demanding non-ClearType
on their PCs.

I find this pr release most wacky, beyond its mere appearance on this list.
What's the point?

Ziya
Nullius in Verba