[Sigia-l] Maybe I'm just loopy this week

Sean Lawrence slawrence at lucidvagary.com
Fri Sep 5 15:23:59 EDT 2003

Ziya wrote:

> So you didn't get the memo that the dotcom era was over? :-)

WHAT!  What am I going to do with all the company propa...I mean branded
accessories??

> How do you come up with a definitive list of
> attributes that make up a reputation that is comprehensive enough to be
used
> universally and short enough to be effective?

Modular plugins?  It's certainly a challenge isn't it?

> With personal and commercial (credit) rating oligopolies, there are and
have
> been horrendous abuses. Do you worry about the legal ramifications of
> 'reputation' ratings issued by a similar system?

Certainly!  My fiancee did a compelling paper on the potential abuses of
Carnivore in law school...so I am certainly sensitive on the possible abuses
of such systems.  Does that necessarily warrant not exploring the possible
application of said system?

> While technical aspects of this is pretty complex but mundane, the legal
and
> social aspects are fraught with dangers that are hard to undo.

Kind of like cars and swimming pools which are responsible for more
childrens deaths than hand guns.  I wouldn't advocate technology for
technology sake but rather the exploration of the potential for good and
ill.

> There are, of course, countless examples of site based-rating systems that
> serve specific functions. But, at least in the U.S., we are uniquely
blessed
> by not having to carry and produce a national ID card, on demand.

Did I ever suggest it ought to be compulsory?