[Sigia-l] Bridging the gap

George Olsen george.olsen at pobox.com
Thu Sep 4 00:14:48 EDT 2003

On 9/3/03 12:33 PM, "Chris Chandler" <chrischandler67 at earthlink.net> wrote:
 > The key being "historically" -- there are now a lot of IAs with heavy
> financial services experience.

Having just come out of a two-year stint in financial services, I'll echo
Chris's comments. IAs are being hired because they bring design skills that
BAs lack.

This doesn't necessarily mean BAs are going away, rather they (ideally)
bring a depth of knowledge about the business and focus more on the business
processes. Whereas the IA/ID/UI/whatever brings deep knowledge about how to
build usable sites/web-apps and focuses on interaction processes. So
(ideally) BAs tend to take the lead in requirements development, IAs/IDs/UIs
take the lead in requirements fulfillment.

That said, there can be a tension -- similar as the "who owns the wireframe"
issue with graphic designers -- due to the overlap in skills. It was a issue
I had to wrestle with at time with the BA I worked with.

George