[Sigia-l] Bridging the gap

Michael Kay lists at peep.org
Wed Sep 3 16:54:39 EDT 2003

While there are alternatives to the IA for this role, I believe it falls
most naturally there. In developing the architecture for a product/site,
the IA by nature gets involved with both the design and engineering teams.
The IA should have at least a high level idea of what the folks in these
disciplines are doing. In some projects I have worked on part of the IA's
role has been to generate the specific requirements for the engineers and
visual designers. The deliverables are traditional schematics and site
maps, and also lists or databases of requirements. In any project, the IA
to be effective should not be working in a vacuum, but collaborating with
visual designers, engineers, content staff, and project managers as they
develop the requirements.

When there are conflicts between the visual design and engineering, the IA
has a broad picture of the project and can resolve those. And of course the
IA is always there to advocate the user.
--Mike