[Sigia-l] Corporate and personal blogs are indeed public

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Oct 29 19:20:57 EST 2003

"Alexander Johannesen" wrote:

>> Invert the issue: what exactly do we (the public) get by these *public*
>> corporate blogs? Anything that whistle blowing or leaking couldn't
>> solve?
>
> Hell, yes; it reveals that real humans work inside these hard
> corporate walls.

Just what does that mean? If those very people blog on say their personal
lives or bird watching, that'd mean there's no "real humans work inside
these hard corporate walls"? People are smarter than that and don't need
blogs to see it.

> If the PR departement of said companies would
> rather play on it instead of against it, it could be called
> Good PR instead of what they get when they fire people for
> some issue only the top management could understand.

Some companies have tens of thousands of employees. Are you suggesting that
companies create layered bureaucracies to monitor what potentially each one
of those employees can say about their job/employer?

>> Unless it's an extension of corporate PR, I don't see a point, other
>> than personal preening.
>
> Like someone else said; where we work and what happens there is a
> quite natural part of us all and how our society works. The *new*
> thing is that what we say now gets published and recorded, and
> that - as I see it - is what the fuzz is about.

Beyond generalities, I have no idea what this really means. Are you
suggesting that employees' ability to publish their opinion on their
employer changes the rules of the game?

----
Ziya

Nullius addictus jurare in verba magister