[Sigia-l] Yahoo-like directory structures

Victor Lombardi victorlombardi at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 14:19:19 EST 2003

I went looking for similar information recently and
couldn't find much. A somewhat relevant study is:

Cascading versus Indexed Menu Design
<http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/51/menu.htm>

I've spoken to others who have tested this layout and
received some empirical findings:

* In the two column format, 12-18 groupings is the
maximum
* Three subitems is ideal
* The "More" and ellipses links are generally
understood to lead to complete listings

Victor
http://www.noisebetweenstations.com/

> From: "Katie Ware" <kcoleware at hotmail.com>
> Hi all -
>
> Has anyone got any info on usability of Yahoo-like
> directory structures
> (categories with a few sub-categories listed, more
> link etc) vs. a more list
> like structure that could also show subcategories?
> Obviously size of the
> lists would come into play. I'm looking for options
> also.

=====
Victor Lombardi
http://www.noisebetweenstations.com