[Sigia-l] Re: Writing for the Web

John R. Howe jrhowe at cwatercom.com
Mon Oct 27 10:13:45 EST 2003

John,

By now you're probably feeling bombarded with links... so here are
the 2 best *books* on Web writing, in my appropriately modest opinion.

"Hot Text: Web Writing That Works." Jonathan and Lisa Price. New Riders, 2002
"Net words: Creating High-Impact Online Copy." Nick Usborne. McGraw-Hill, 2002.

I noticed a link to N. Usborne's  "ClickZ" archives in Laura's
encyclopedic www.d.umn.edu/goto/webdesign/ list. See also: my "Web
Writing Checklist" at http://www.cwatercom.com/html/cw_checklist.html
with many items borrowed from the above 2 books.

Finally - if you haven't already, save yourself and your writers
*much* time (= money) and prevent debilitating religious wars over
grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. with these three style guides:
"The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law" (Perseus
Press); "Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications"
(Microsoft Press) and "The Chicago Manual of Style" (University of
Chicago Press).

Add to that list, of course,  whatever  *internal* editorial style
guides Cisco already has.   I'd be interested to know if it does, and
if so, what stage of development they're in.  In most of my Web
writing contracts over the past seven years I've had to introduce and
champion editorial style guides (both external and internal), usually
because "content" was an afterthought for Web teams focused
exclusively on technology, graphic design and structural/visual (IA,
UI) "user experience."  It never ceases to amaze and inspire me that
even though users spend most of their time *reading* (everything from
link labels and headlines to news stories and FAQs), use of *words*
(writing, reading) is almost always missing from discussions of "user
experience."

- John

--
John R. Howe, Web Writer and Information Architect
"What You Read Is What You Get" (WYRIWYG)