[Sigia-l] card sorting by survey?

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Fri Oct 24 17:32:53 EDT 2003

Whitney perfectly covered the conceptual issues surrounding card
sorting, so I'll just raise a practical.

In my experience, when using any computer-based tool, whether it be
Excel or one of the card sorting tools, usability problems in the tools
get in the way of users being able to provide a good sort. People put
their mental energy into working with the tool which leaves little
energy for the sort (this doesn't happen with cards - practically no
energy expended on working with paper). My experience is that doing
this is actually worse than nothing - all you catch is surface
characteristics for the sort ;)

My favourite quick & dirty card sorting method is to create a number
of sets of cards, drop them at people's desks, explain the concept,
and give them 24 hours to complete the sort. Come back next day,
have a quick chat about their groupings and labels and pick up the
cards. If you number the cards, you can get the data into a
spreadsheet faster for analysis.

HTH

Donna Maurer
http://www.maadmob.net/donna/blog/

On 24 Oct 2003 at 16:43, Laura S. Quinn wrote:

> I'm currently working on the redesign of a medium sized intranet
> (about 2000 pages and docs) for a very large publishing company, and
> could use some advice.
<snipped>